Sunday April 15th blizzard to Sunday April 22nd thaw – ah what a difference a week makes!
Springtime is upon us (finally) and it’s time to start thinking about planting for pollinators. Below are some key resources to help you with planning your garden and yard:
Resources for Pollinators
- MN Pollinators – MN Department of Natural Resources
- Native Pollinators
- 100 Plants to Feed the Bees (book) by The Xerces Society
- University of MN Extension flowers for pollinators
- University of MN Bee Lab Flowers for Bees
- Xerxes Society Pollinator Conservation in MN and WI
- Plants for MN Bees
- Biology of Plants – Pollination
Last year when the bees arrived it was about 62 degrees and sunny. Today the high was 32 and low of 5 degrees tonight and no end in sight for the cold in the next week or so. It’s the worst case scenario for installing bees. So…time to get creative with 128,000 bees in the laundry room overnight and installing them tomorrow. Stressful time in the bee yard – praying they make it through the cold the next week.
Mike from Bone Lake Meadows will be teaching a class on Getting Started in Beekeeping on Tuesday, February 27 from 5-7pm at Peterson’s North Branch Mill. Topics covered include:
- Why keep bees?
- Equipment and tools needed
- The “Langstroth” Hive
- Beekeeping time line
- Harvesting Honey
Peterson’s North Branch Mill, 38964 Branch Ave, North Branch, MN 55056
To register call 651-674-4425 (option 2). Cost is $10. Special buys on equipment that evening only!
It’s time to think Spring!
Join us at one of the last events of the year:
Marketplace – Stella’s Neighborhood Grille, Thursday, Nov. 30, 4:00-9:00pm
- 7050 Scandia Trail N., Forest Lake, MN 55025
St Croix Valley Fare, December 16, 1-4pm
- Northern Vineyards, 223 Main Street North, Stillwater, MN 55082
Can’t make it? No problem! Check out our Products page and email, call or text Cathy with your order. firstname.lastname@example.org
Join us for Plaid Friday and Small Business Weekend specials!
- One FREE lip balm and two honey sticks with any purchase over $10
- Two FREE lip balm and four honey sticks with any purchase over $25
Christmas at the Historic Courthouse Gala and Holiday Bazaar
November 17-19, 2017, Washington County Historic Courthouse, 101 West Pine Street, Stillwater, MN 55082
- Gala Fundraiser: Friday, November 17, 6:30-9 p.m. Support the Washington County Historic Courthouse Restoration Fund! The Gala Fundraiser includes a souvenir tasting glass, wine and craft beer, hors d’oeuvres, door prizes, live music, and a first opportunity to shop our local craft vendors. This is a fundraiser for the Historic Courthouse Restoration Fund and open to all. $25. For tickets www.co.washington.mn.us/
- Holiday Bazaar: Saturday and Sunday Nov. 18 & 19, 10:00 a.m-4:00 FREE. Take in the sights and music of the season, shop for the perfect gift at the holiday bazaar, purchase locally made treats at the Holiday Bake Shop or bring your camera and take FREE photos with Santa Claus in his workshop from 12:00-3:00 p.m.
Santa Claus Loves Honey from Bone Lake Meadows Apiary!
Saturday, November 11, 2017: 9am-5pm
Running Aces Casino & Racetrack
Spectacular Holiday Arts and Crafts Show featuring live music, food, and more!
First 100 guests receive a free gift bag!