We teach a 9 month beekeeping course at the Women’s Environmental Institute (WEI) in North Branch from March through October. The class submitted honey from one of the six teaching hives and we won First Place at the MN State Fair! What a great group effort from spring to fall!
Stay tuned for more info on the 2019 Beekeeping Class. At the end of the class you will receive a WEI Beekeeping Certificate which meets the educational requirement for Urban Honeybee Permit holders.
Summer Farmers Markets are winding down, but fall festivals are coming up! Please join us:
- Scandia Taco Daze, Saturday, September 8, 10:00-5:00pm: Scandia Community Center, 14727 209th St N, Scandia, MN 55073
- Czech and Slovak Festival, Sunday, September 16, 11-5:00pm CSPS Hall, 383 Michigan Street, St Paul, Free Admission!
- Chisago Lakes PTO Annual Craft Fair, Saturday November 3, 9:00-4:00 Chisago Lakes Middle School, 13750 Lake Boulevard, Lindstrom, Minnesota 55045
- Christmas at the Historic Courthouse Gala and Holiday Bazaar, November 16-18, 2017, Washington County Historic Courthouse, 101 West Pine Street, Stillwater, MN 55082
- Gala Fundraiser: Friday, November 16, 6:30-9 p.m. Support the Washington County Historic Courthouse Restoration Fund! The Gala Fundraiser includes a souvenir tasting glass, wine and craft beer, hors d’oeuvres, door prizes, live music, and a first opportunity to shop our local craft vendors. This is a fundraiser for the Historic Courthouse Restoration Fund and open to all. $25. For tickets www.co.washington.mn.us/vchc
- Holiday Bazaar: Saturday and Sunday Nov. 17 & 18, 10:00 a.m-4:00 FREE. Take in the sights and music of the season, shop for the perfect gift at the holiday bazaar, purchase locally made treats at the Holiday Bake Shop or bring your camera and take FREE photos with Santa Claus in his workshop from 12:00-3:00 p.m.
Join us this summer at the Farmers Markets:
Scandia Farmers Market – Wednesdays, June 6 to September 19, 3:30-6:30pm
- Gammelgarden Museum, 20880 Olinda Trail N, Scandia, MN 55073
Chisago City Farmers Market – Friday’s, June 15 to end of September, 2:00-6:00
- Chuckie Lundquist Park, 10940 Stinson Avenue, Chisago City, MN 55013 NOTE NEW TEMPORARY LOCATION THIS YEAR DUE TO DOWNTOWN RENOVATION
We have honey, lip balm, lotion and honey sticks (of course!). There are 9 flavors of lip balm including Almond, Chai, Lavender Vanilla, Lemongrass, Mint, Monkey Farts, Natural, Orange and Vanilla. YUM!
Cant make it? No problem! Call or text Cathy at (651) 271-4734 or email email@example.com for more information. See you this summer at the Market!
Springtime is upon us (finally) and it’s time to start thinking about planting for pollinators. Below are some key resources to help you with planning your garden and yard:
Resources for Pollinators
- MN Pollinators – MN Department of Natural Resources
- Native Pollinators
- 100 Plants to Feed the Bees (book) by The Xerces Society
- University of MN Extension flowers for pollinators
- University of MN Bee Lab Flowers for Bees
- Xerxes Society Pollinator Conservation in MN and WI
- Plants for MN Bees
- Biology of Plants – Pollination
Last year when the bees arrived it was about 62 degrees and sunny. Today the high was 32 and low of 5 degrees tonight and no end in sight for the cold in the next week or so. It’s the worst case scenario for installing bees. So…time to get creative with 128,000 bees in the laundry room overnight and installing them tomorrow. Stressful time in the bee yard – praying they make it through the cold the next week.
Mike from Bone Lake Meadows will be teaching a class on Getting Started in Beekeeping on Tuesday, February 27 from 5-7pm at Peterson’s North Branch Mill. Topics covered include:
- Why keep bees?
- Equipment and tools needed
- The “Langstroth” Hive
- Beekeeping time line
- Harvesting Honey
Peterson’s North Branch Mill, 38964 Branch Ave, North Branch, MN 55056
To register call 651-674-4425 (option 2). Cost is $10. Special buys on equipment that evening only!
It’s time to think Spring!